Welcome to the Laura Ingalls Wilder Children's Room!

Ms. Clara Webber was the first children's librarian of Pomona Public Library. A long time correspondent with Mrs. Laura Ingalls Wilder, she was instrumental in having the Children's Room named in honor of Mrs. Wilder on May 25, 1950. Today, we house the original hand written manuscript for the novel Little Town on the Prairie. Every February, we host the Laura Ingalls Wilder Sociable in honor of Mrs. Wilder's February 7th birthday.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Spencer Public Library pt. 1




It was a beautiful day in Spencer, Iowa on October 25, 2008. I arrived at the library around 9:30am. The library was easy to find and I really liked the rounded outside. I got out of the car and thought, "So this was Dewey's kingdom." It felt very worthy. I stopped to take pictures and then I went inside. I saw the circulation person (later I learned her name was Joy.) I was leery to approach given my experience the night before. But Joy had a very nice smile on her face which gave me the confidence to ask her, "Did you know Dewey?" The smile got bigger and she said, "Dewey and I were buddies." Hooray, a friend! We got to talking and I told her I was a children's librarian from Pomona, California. She immediately grabbed this person flying by and said, "Mary. This is Lois, a children's librarian from Pomona, California." Mary threw on the brakes gave me a big smile and we began talking of all things great about being a children's librarian. It was awesome! I think we could have talked for hours. Fortunately, she had a Halloween program and I got to see part of it. I took some pictures which I will share at another time.
To be continued...

Next installment: Spencer Public Library pt. 2

No comments: