Welcome to the Laura Ingalls Wilder Children's Room!

Ms. Clara Webber was the first children's librarian of Pomona Public Library. A long time correspondent with Mrs. Laura Ingalls Wilder, she was instrumental in having the Children's Room named in honor of Mrs. Wilder on May 25, 1950. Today, we house the original hand written manuscript for the novel Little Town on the Prairie. Every February, we host the Laura Ingalls Wilder Sociable in honor of Mrs. Wilder's February 7th birthday.

Friday, July 10, 2009

Summer Reading Program Theme: Be Creative @ Your Library


mural-madness 007
Originally uploaded by eg_library
Good Friday to you, young Pomonans. If you have been in the Library at all this week, you will see how busy we are! I posted last Wednesday's program but didn't have much time to talk about it.

Yes, we really did have a live alligator in the Library. Wild Wonders, Inc. is a group of people who go around to different libraries and schools to show children (and adults) these animals and where they come from.

My pictures aren't the greatest. (I guess I better keep my day job at the library!) I can't seem to hold my camera still. At least you can get an idea of the animals we had. The fox was so cute!

If you recall several years ago we had Wonders of Wildlife here and they had me eat a mealworm. I told the kids if you all read a book a day for the rest of your lives that I would eat it. Of course they all egged me on and I didn't feel like I could refuse so I just popped it in my mouth! I've always wondered how my co-workers managed to be out of the room at the right time! :)

Next Wednesday (July 15th) we have a Story teller named Georgette Baker. We have had her here at the library before and we have really enjoyed her. She tells stories and sings in both English and Spanish and she is very good! You don't want to miss this show.

If you haven't signed up for the reading program yet, please do! We are a bit behind where we were last year at this time and we want to do even better! So come on in, sign up, and get your prizes!!!!

Joke of the day: Why was the nose so poor?
Answer: It didn't have a scent to its name. :)

No comments: