Welcome to the Laura Ingalls Wilder Children's Room!

Ms. Clara Webber was the first children's librarian of Pomona Public Library. A long time correspondent with Mrs. Laura Ingalls Wilder, she was instrumental in having the Children's Room named in honor of Mrs. Wilder on May 25, 1950. Today, we house the original hand written manuscript for the novel Little Town on the Prairie. Every February, we host the Laura Ingalls Wilder Sociable in honor of Mrs. Wilder's February 7th birthday.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Puppetry Workshop!



Good Wednesday, young Pomonans! I sure missed all of you yesterday but I went to an AMAZING puppetry workshop! Many children's librarians got together at the Long Beach Public Library yesterday to learn how to use puppets in story time and in all aspects of our job.

Several puppet experts in Southern California were there. Our first presenter was our own Johanna Smith who lives here in the City of Pomona and teaches at Cal State San Bernardino in the area of Theatre Education. She was fabulous!

Pictured above is Shappy the bookworm puppet. I know some of you might not believe this but I made Shappy myself!! Yes, that's right! Ms. Lois who knows nothing about crafts made a puppet! I am so very proud of this that I had to post it!

Also pictured is a puppet theater I was given. This theater belonged to my children's librarian, Betty Maxie, who recently passed away. Her family gave me her theater and some puppets. This is quite an honor for me so I went to the workshop to learn a few things. I did.

Our new puppet theater currently resides in our storage area because it was too big to keep in our story hour room. But it is portable and I will be able to take it upstairs when I need to use it.

So come one come all to see some puppets. I will post when I am ready to do my first show.

Joke of the day: Where do finger puppets get their outfits?
Answer: They're all hand-me-downs! ;)

No comments: