Welcome to the Laura Ingalls Wilder Children's Room!

Ms. Clara Webber was the first children's librarian of Pomona Public Library. A long time correspondent with Mrs. Laura Ingalls Wilder, she was instrumental in having the Children's Room named in honor of Mrs. Wilder on May 25, 1950. Today, we house the original hand written manuscript for the novel Little Town on the Prairie. Every February, we host the Laura Ingalls Wilder Sociable in honor of Mrs. Wilder's February 7th birthday.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Falling For Grace


falling for grace
Originally uploaded by See3p0
Well, young Pomonans, today I'm going to tell you a story. A real story, I'm afraid.

This morning found me yet again at the dentist. Things didn't go quite as planned and it took longer than we expected. Time passed quickly and I had a very short time in which to get to the library for story time. When I got here, Ms. Nissa had very kindly set up the room for me and we were ready to go.

I had a very nice surprise awaiting me. My friend Grace, who entered Kindergarten this year, was there to greet me because she was on spring break. I hadn't seen her since the summer reading program and it was very good to see her.

When she was three years old, her parents had a beautiful picture taken of her. Her Mom gave me a copy and she showed me where she had written down what Grace wanted to tell me.

I quote: For Lois,

My favorite storyteller and Rap Star!

Love always, Grace

(I will leave out the last name for privacy issues.)

So there you go! Move over eminem! Ms. Lois is here to stay!!

Only a three year old could look at this 50 plus librarian and call her a rap star. I laughed so long and at the same time loved this little soul.

So today when story time came I had this wonderful memory of this special child.

Remember I told you I was stressed because I thought I would be late? That plus having novocaine at the dentist made me, shall I say, unsteady? Because half way through story time, I lost my balance and fell heading straight for Grace. I couldn't catch myself and the horror of falling on this wonderful child was terrifying. I managed to maneuver myself just to her left and landed in a heap at her side.

Now, the irony that being so completely UNGRACEFUL was not lost on me. I managed to pick myself up. You know what, young Pomonans? If I had fallen outside I would have been mortified. But here among friends it was no big deal. Children are amazing and I count myself extremely lucky to be with you all. Am I perfect? No. I have fallen for the best!

I'm not sure if you want to hear this yet but please remember this: In all situations you can find humor. It may take a lifetime to be able to see it and you just might barely be able to see it. But somewhere it is there. If you absolutely cannot see it, keep trying. And if you still can't see it you can die trying!

Lucky for me in falling for Grace the humor was easy to see.

Take care young Pomonans. You're the best!

Joke of the day: Today Ms. Lois fell for Grace! :)

No comments: