Welcome to the Laura Ingalls Wilder Children's Room!

Ms. Clara Webber was the first children's librarian of Pomona Public Library. A long time correspondent with Mrs. Laura Ingalls Wilder, she was instrumental in having the Children's Room named in honor of Mrs. Wilder on May 25, 1950. Today, we house the original hand written manuscript for the novel Little Town on the Prairie. Every February, we host the Laura Ingalls Wilder Sociable in honor of Mrs. Wilder's February 7th birthday.

Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Story of Pumpkin PIe

It is Christmas young Pomonans! I trust your day was happy and safe.

Every year I make the pumpkin pie and every year something goes wrong. If you have never made one, it is really easy.

All you have to do is mix the dry ingredients together, mix the wet ingredients together, mix them together and pour it into a pie shell. Put in in the oven at 425 degrees and 15 minutes later lower the oven to 350 degrees, wait 40 to 50 minutes and take it out of the oven. Simple!

The truth is very few things for me are simple. One year I forgot to put in the eggs. That left a goopy mess that wouldn't gel. My family went without pumkin pie that year. The next year I messed up the crust. My family went without pumpkin pie that year as well. I got smart after that and bought the frozen pie crust. It really is good and you don't have to worry about messing it up.

My co-workers have said to me, "If you were in my family, Lois, I would assign you to bring the drinks." It does make sense. However I believe my family knows that I really do try and that they don't have the heart to tell me to stop.

This year I paid close attention to what I was doing. I understand that this just isn't an easy thing for me to do. I thought things were going well and I was pretty happy. I put the pie in the oven and went about the task of cleaing up. There right in front of me, mocking me in my own kitchen, was the bowl of dry ingredients. 'NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" I screamed. I'm surprised my neighbors didn't come over to see who died. I threw open the oven door and retrieved the pie. I poured the liquid back into a bowl, stirred the dry ingredients in, got a new pie crust (thank goodness they come two in a package) and put the pie back into the oven.

Close call dudes. I nearly ruined the pie again. I took the pie to my parents house smiling from ear to ear. For the first time in several years I didn't have to endure my family rolling their eyes when I told them what went wrong. I served the pie and kept my mouth shut!

No Joke: Merry Christmas!

No comments: