Welcome to the Laura Ingalls Wilder Children's Room!

Ms. Clara Webber was the first children's librarian of Pomona Public Library. A long time correspondent with Mrs. Laura Ingalls Wilder, she was instrumental in having the Children's Room named in honor of Mrs. Wilder on May 25, 1950. Today, we house the original hand written manuscript for the novel Little Town on the Prairie. Every February, we host the Laura Ingalls Wilder Sociable in honor of Mrs. Wilder's February 7th birthday.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Hello From Spencer, Iowa!


10 Spencer for Hire?
Originally uploaded by moosegirl
Here I am at the Spencer Public Library where Dewey Readmore Books used to live. It's a beautiful library with a very nice children's area and very friendly people who work here. I have been welcomed warmly and felt free to look around and take pictures.

I can use the public terminals for two hours for free! I guess I understand why we have the rules we do but it is so nice to come in here and to use the facilities for free, even though I live in California!

It's very cold out here! When I was packing to come here it was so hard to think that somewhere else could be cool. I threw in a jacket as an after thought. I'm so glad I did.

They have a big picture of Dewey on the wall as you enter the library. Outside the children's window, Dewey is buried with a very nice marker. There is a statue next to him that is a tribute to Dewey's Mom's mother. The former library director, Vicki Myron, found Dewey in the book drop and decided to keep him. She became his "Mom" and Dewey lived at the library for 19 years.

I am taking lots of pictures and will blog them when I get home. I am so glad I came to Spencer. It is a warm place, (OK, I don't mean weather wise) and I can't wait to get my book signed this afternoon by the author. I brought the library's copy in hopes she will sign it as well.

Take care young Pomonans! I'll see you Monday.

No comments: